Tips To Increase Productivity In Your Garment Business
Higher productivity is essential for increased growth and profits in any business and is linked to better overall performances. However, when it comes to textiles, an increase in productivity level reduces overall garment manufacturing cost and can greatly improve your brand’s profitability. You may be a Men’s woven shirt supplier from India, Men’s cotton shirts Exporter in India or you may be a shirt exporter India. However you’ve come to be a part of the apparel community of India, you’d benefit from implementing these productivity increasing activities.
- Conducting motion study:When it comes to apparel manufacturing, having production machinery run at optimum levels ensures that you and your brand get the most out of your investment. Take the time out to conduct specialized motion study with all equipment and correct any faults that the specialists may point out. By doing this you can reduce operation cycle time and can improve labor productivity dramatically. Assume you’re one of the many clothing exporters in India. By conducting regular motion study, you’ve given yourself an edge over competition.
- Hourly operator capacity check: Another important point to remember is to start checking operator capacity hourly or bi-hourly. Compare actual operator’s hourly production with their capacity. If production is less than the projected capacity, ensure you’re taking steps to correct that. As always, investing in professional help will help in the long run.
Garment Research & Development: Having a special R&D team in the factory brings lot of benefits. R&D should be considered to be preparation for bulk production. This department conducts sample production and looks into potentially critical operations, advices about special equipment and changes in terms of any other process. As a result production runs without breaks or with reduced number of breaks. With all of these steps, break in production for unnecessary reasons will reduce and line productivity increases.
4. Line layout:The main purpose of choosing a better layout is to reduce transportation time in the line as much as possible. You must have a line layout that is suitable to your production habits. A stable line is not a good idea if you produce multiple products in a same line. When a style includes lot of preparatory work (for garment parts), it is better to make garment parts in sections and assemble them later. Similarly, if possible always opt for professional help from an expert.
- Scientific work station layout:The workstation layout defines your entire production process and also determines how efficient it will be. A scientific layout is defined as minimum reach for picking up and dispose of components. For best results, the workstation should make sure that components are positioned as close to the needle as possible. The purpose of designing a good workstation layout is to minimize the material handling time as much as possible. Another important benefit of good workstation is that operators can maintain a steady pace of work.
- Training your staff:Be it the line supervisors, sewing technicians or anybody else involved in the process of production – their training is of the outmost importance. Each supervisor must be trained with fundamental management skills and communication skill. Most supervisors in the Indian garment manufacturing industry are raised from tailors and don’t have technical qualification in supervising. This might lead to an under qualified support staff. Supervisors should understand the fundamental of industrial engineering like operation bulletin, skill matrix, workstation layout, movement, capacity study and theoretical line balancing and so on. The competency of your staff determines your brand’s productivity – always invest in training staff.
- Setting targets: It is simply not possible to put your best foot forward if you don’t have a pre-defined goal. Have regular team meetings with your supervisors and set targets for each group of technicians. Apart from setting group targets, also be practical and set individual targets. This makes sure that nobody is over worked and that everybody is contributing.
No matter what kind of a set-up you have, it always makes sense to ensure that you’re doing the best things and adopting the best practices to give your business a boost towards productivity and growth. While these are just a few basic tips on ensuring high levels of productivity, it will always pay to invest in a professional who can give you custom-made solutions and tips.